After-delivery care in Wabash Valley
Terre Haute Regional Hospital is here for you and your newborn baby to ensure that you receive the care you need. We understand how important this time is for you and your family, and our goal is to ensure that you are comfortable and have all of the care you need after labor and delivery.
To find out more about our birthing center, please call us at (812) 237-1200.
Comprehensive post-pregnancy treatment
You and your newborn receive comprehensive care and support until you leave the hospital—and at home. Our services include:
- Family-centered care—We practice couplet care (also known as rooming in), so you and your partner can get to know your baby in a private setting. This means your baby stays with you in the room at all times, even during most examinations, and the same nurse cares for you and your baby.
- Premature care—If your baby needs to be cared for in our neonatal intensive care unit (NICU), we encourage as much bonding and visiting with your baby as possible.
- 24/7 breastfeeding support—Breastfeeding is a learned skill for both mom and baby. Our on-site, international board-certified lactation consultants help you breastfeed immediately after birth and throughout your hospital stay.
- A celebratory meal—We help make your experience memorable by providing you and your partner a special meal after your baby’s birth. You will also receive complimentary cupcakes from The Red Room Cakery in Terre Haute.
- Postpartum depression screening—We screen all new moms for postpartum depression before leaving the hospital and will coordinate any medical care or counseling you may need.
- Unmatched, personalized attention—Whether you need help with breastfeeding, diapering or swaddling, our unique follow-up program provides new families one-on-one consultations related to postpartum and newborn care. In addition to spending time with you during your hospital stay, our experienced OB nurses will answer your non-urgent questions by phone once you are discharged. Our OB nurses can be reached at (812) 237-9497.
Changes to expect during your postpartum recovery
Additionally, our obstetricians will help you with adjusting to your body after your baby is born. It is important to be mindful of any changes to your body that may be abnormal, so we can ensure that you are not experiencing an infection or extending your recovery time.
Typical body changes to expect after your baby is born includes:
- Vaginal soreness from an episiotomy (vaginal tear)
- Vaginal discharge of blood and mucus
- Contractions (afterpains)
- Developing hemorrhoids
- Breast tenderness
- Hair loss
- Skin changes
- Mood changes
- Weight loss