Heart event treatment in Wabash Valley
Terre Haute Regional Hospital provides heart attack treatment to patients who have experienced heart attacks once or multiple times. Our Accredited Chest Pain Center has experienced cardiologists who will provide life-saving care, in the case of a heart attack.
For more information about our heart attack treatment, please call us at (812) 232-0021.
What is a heart attack?
A heart attack occurs when oxygen in your heart becomes blocked by fatty deposits (or plaque) in the arteries. Once a heart attack occurs, your blood flow stops and damages the heart muscle.
Heart attack symptoms
Common heart attack symptoms and signs include:
- Shortness of breath
- Cold sweats
- Sudden dizziness
- Nausea, abdominal pain, indigestion or heartburn
Some symptoms occur suddenly for some people and others occur hours, days or weeks in advance. If you experience any of these symptoms, it is important to act immediately.
If you or a loved one is experiencing these symptoms, call 911.
Heart attack risk factors
Some risk factors for heart attack include:
- Age (Women 55 years old or older and men 45 years old or older are more likely to experience a heart attack.)
- Smoking (If you are tobacco smoker or are exposed to long-term secondhand smoke, you are more likely to experience a heart attack.)
- High blood pressure
- High cholesterol
- Family history of heart attack
- Lack of physical activity
Heart attack prevention
Our cardiologists are ready to provide education to you and your loved ones on how to prevent a heart attack from occurring, even if you have already experienced one. To prevent heart attack, patients can take certain actions, such as:
- Taking prescribed medications
- Maintaining a healthy weight
- Quitting smoking
- Exercising regularly
- Managing stress