A diagnosis of cancer is frightening, but at the Paul Siebenmorgen Cancer Center at Terre Haute Regional Hospital you're not alone. We know you have questions and concerns about your health, and we are pleased to offer you the assistance of a dedicated oncology navigator who will help you overcome barriers and coordinate oncology care with the entire healthcare team. She will guide and support you and your family through the many challenges of cancer and meet your physical, emotional and spiritual needs with compassion.
Our oncology navigator for general oncology care is a registered nurse, specially trained and experienced in cancer care, who will guide and support patients and their families through the many challenges of a cancer diagnosis. Our navigator is dedicated to bringing together all team members involved in the patient's care.
We also have a breast-imaging navigator in the mammography department who is specially trained in all aspects of breast healthcare. She is dedicated to guiding the patient through the next steps following an abnormal mammogram. She ensures smooth and timely scheduling for each necessary diagnostic tests, including biopsy, and provides support and education each step of the way.
Helping Patients Navigate Through Their Cancer Journey
Cancer patients and their families can count on our Nurse Navigator to:
- Direct patients to healthcare services for timely diagnosis and treatment
- Assist patients to "navigate" the healthcare system and necessary resources
- Assist patients to understand their diagnosis and available treatment options
- Help overcome barriers and coordinate care with the entire healthcare team: surgeons, radiologists, cancer specialists, dieticians, speech therapists, lymphedema therapists, support groups, counselor
- Provide educational materials
- Explain medications
- Assist patients with accessing needed resources to stay on track with their treatment plan: financial counselor, transportation options, the American Cancer Society, home care, hospice care and other appropriate community and cancer-related organizations
- Help to improve communication between the healthcare team members to ensure quality outcomes
For more information contact Lynn Hayes, Oncology Nurse Navigator at (812) 870-6044.