Having a baby is a miraculous event you will remember for the rest of your life. At The Family Place, located inside Terre Haute Regional Hospital, an entire network of maternity and birth specialists, including nurses and related clinical staff are available to collaborate on your care.
Terre Haute Regional Hospital is committed to making your pregnancy and birth experience safe and joyful, putting you and your baby at the center of everything we do.Call us at (812) 237-1200 to schedule a tour or register for childbirth/breastfeeding classes.
Expert, compassionate maternity care
Terre Haute Regional Hospital is recognized for providing pregnancy and labor and delivery services that meet the highest standards of care. When you choose The Family Place for you maternity care, you benefit from:
- Personalized care with a range of birthing options
- Vaginal birth after cesarean (VBAC) delivery (for women who have previously had a cesarean delivery but wish to have a vaginal birth for their next child)
- The latest technology and evidence-based best practices to ensure a safe pregnancy and birth 3-D ultrasound, providing clear images of your baby
- A strong commitment to breastfeeding, supported by our dedicated staff, physicians and lactation consultants
- Our emphasis on newborn safety and security, including our mother/infant security system
- Follow up center for new families
Follow up maternity care
Have questions about your newborn. Feel free to call Terre Haute Regional Hospital’s warm-line at (812) 237-9497 . This line is specifically designed for your non-urgent baby care questions.
Meet Barb Black, LPN
Barb Black, LPN, is an obstetric nurse and certified lactation counselor with more than 25 years of experience. Barb’s expertise is available to you during your stay, whether she is just stopping in to introduce herself, bringing literature or offering one-on-one consultation about general baby care or breastfeeding issues. Barb is involved with new families and offers support in the following ways:
- Support of mother and her breastfeeding goals
- Problem identification (engorgement, plugged ducts, mastitis, thrush, low milk supply)
- Free baby weight check, vital signs and second newborn infant screen, if necessary
- Education of new mother in proper care of her new infant including cord care, sleep patterns, burping techniques and general baby care questions
- Education of new mother in proper collection and storage of breast milk and returning-to-work tips
Childbirth preparation classes
Our childbirth preparation classes are six-week long programs designed to prepare expectant moms in their third trimester and dads, or labor companions, for labor, birth experience and early parenthood.
- Prenatal wellness
- Massage and visualization techniques
- Preparation for baby
- Normal newborn characteristics
- Care of baby
- Tour of the obstetrical suites and nursery
This one-time class is for women who are trying to make the decision whether or not to breastfeed, or for those who are planning on breastfeeding but need additional information and breastfeeding tips. Topics include:
- Preparation for breastfeeding
- Breastfeeding basics and supplies
- Work and breastfeeding
- Collecting and storing breast milk