Expert Back and Spine Care in Wabash Valley
Back and neck pain can be debilitating. When pain strikes, you want a team of professionals working together to identify the cause and recommend the best treatment options. At Terre Haute Regional Hospital, our spine team — including orthopedic surgeons and neurosurgeons — has decades of experience and cutting-edge expertise in Wabash Valley.
Health Risk Assessments
Find out how healthy you are by taking our FREE online health risk assessments:
Our spine specialists treat the full spectrum of back and spine conditions, with a focus on whole person care. We provide a variety of nonsurgical and surgical treatment options, including minimally invasive spine surgery for even the most complex neck and back conditions.
Back and Neck Conditions We Treat
Back or neck pain is caused by damage from injury, disease, or wear and tear to the spinal bones (called vertebrae), muscles, nerves, discs (cushion between the vertebrae), or tendons. Pain can happen in the cervical (neck), thoracic (middle), or lumbar (lower) areas of the spine.
The orthopedic and spine teams at Terre Haute Regional Hospital use a multispecialty approach to diagnose and care for your condition. We treat a wide range of back and spine conditions, including:
- Bone spurs: bone overgrowths
- Degenerative disc disease: breakdown of the discs
- Herniated discs: ruptured or bulged discs
- Osteoarthritis: cartilage in the joints wears down
- Sciatica: nerve irritation
- Scoliosis and kyphosis: spinal curvature
- Spinal stenosis and myelopathy: narrowing of the spinal canal
- Spinal tumors and cancer: growths in or around the spinal column or cord
- Spine fractures: caused by trauma, injury, or arthritis
- Spine infections: osteomyelitis
- Spondylolisthesis: one vertebra slips over another
- Sports injuries: caused by repetitive movements or trauma
Nonsurgical and Minimally Invasive Back and Spine Treatment
We evaluate your overall health and lifestyle to recommend the safest, simplest, and most appropriate treatments. Terre Haute Regional Hospital offers nonsurgical and minimally invasive therapies, such as:
- Physical therapy and rehabilitation: Strengthen and stabilize the core using rehabilitation therapy provided by licensed therapists with experience in orthopedic and spine conditions.
- Spinal injections: Involve image-guided technology to deliver medications to relieve pain and reduce inflammation. These include epidural steroid injections, facet joint injections, sacroiliac joint injections, nerve blocks, and trigger point injections.
- Nerve stimulation techniques: Deliver low-voltage electrical current to relieve pain, as in transcutaneous nerve stimulation (TENS) therapy and implanted peripheral nerve stimulation (PNS) devices.
- Interventional spine procedures: For example, radiofrequency ablation that uses heat to destroy tissue, such as tumors or the sensory nerves that cause pain. We also perform vertebroplasty and kyphoplasty for spinal fractures.
Advanced Spine Surgery at Terre Haute Regional Hospital
The spine surgeons at Terre Haute Regional Hospital perform a variety of spine surgery techniques.
Our surgeons use minimally invasive, robotic-assisted spine surgery techniques that offer unmatched precision and accuracy. In many cases, we can stabilize joints, decompress pinched nerves, fuse bones, and correct deformities — all through a few, small incisions. This means less trauma to muscles and tissue, resulting in shorter operations, less pain after surgery, and faster recovery. Many patients go home within a day or two.
The treatments and surgeries offered include:
- Discectomy/microdiscectomy: Removes all or part of the disc, or the cushion between the vertebrae.
- Laminectomy or laminotomy: Removes part of the back bone which covers the spinal canal to relieve pressure on the spinal nerves. Often performed with spinal fusion surgery.
- Foraminotomy: Removes bone or tissue to open the space where the nerves leave the spinal canal, sometimes also performed with spinal fusion surgery.
- Disc replacement surgery: Replaces a damaged disc with an artificial one.
- Kyphoplasty/vertebroplasty: Treats spinal fractures, eases pain, and restores height. Kyphoplasty uses a balloon to create a space, which is filled with medical cement. In vertebroplasty, medical cement is injected into the spongy vertebral bone.
- Spinal fusion: Increases spine stability by joining two vertebrae using bone grafts and sometimes implants, such as rods and screws.
Full Spectrum of Spine and Back Care in Terre Haute, Indiana
With expertise and decades of experience, the spine specialists and surgeons at Terre Haute Regional Hospital develop a personalized treatment plan, just for you. Patients choose us for:
- Multispecialty care from a team dedicated to you. Our team includes board-certified and fellowship trained doctors and orthopedic surgeons, neurosurgeons, physiatrists, as well as therapists and others, who work together to provide whole-patient care.
- Compassionate care throughout the journey. We’re here every step of the way with case management and care coordination customized to your needs.
- Specialized programs before and after surgery. In addition to advanced diagnostics, our hospital also offers pain management services inpatient rehabilitation from licensed therapists. This means you can get everything you need in one place, from one team.
- Care in a full-service hospital. If you need surgery, it’s at a hospital with all the services and amenities you need for a comfortable recovery.